Search My Blog

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Open (build) Temple in Your Country

As I was waiting on the a bus platform Sunday morning, I was approached by a Korean man who began to speak to me in English, which, from previous experience, meant one of two things: he was just curious and wanted to practice his English, or he was looking to sell me some sort of religion.

"Do you speak English?"

"Yes."

"Where are you from?"

"I'm from America."

He handed me a sheet of white paper, folded approximately in half.

"Here take this paper. When you read it, tell your friends."

Then he quickly left, leaving me a bit confused, and pretty intrigued by what could be on this paper. Thinking about why the dude ran off so quickly, why he told me to pass on to my friends whatever information was inside, and why the small piece of paper was folded over to obscure its contents started thoughts of some black market underground sweetness running through my head as I opened it up.

This is what I found:
(click for a larger view)



I had been right about thinking he was trying to sell me some religion, but I was kind of disappointed that was all it was after such a mysterious solicitation. I read over the paper was pretty amused nonetheless. Apart from some basic and expected Engrish, there are some real sweet lines on there:

Visit Zen Meditation Center (Temple)! Christian - no problem.

I'm glad they specified Christians are okay. Apparently Jew, Muslim, Mormons, and other various cult members are shit out of luck.

Become Buddhist priest (if you want)-> beneficial to you.

Ah, what a relief that becoming a Buddhist priest is a choice - only if I want. I thought for a second there I was instantly obliged to become one just by reading the paper. At least it would be beneficial to me.

Buddha was born prior to Jesus Christ 500 years ago.

It obvious what they are trying to say here, but I still find it hilarious that it sounds like Jesus Christ was born today and that Buddha has him beat by being born 500 years prior. Great stuff, but if the "true" god is really determined by who is oldest, I guess we should all try to start worshiping some long-forgotten caveman god from eons back.

No comments:

Post a Comment